Sunday, July 3, 2011

a good read?

2 nights.619 pages later...

I didn't want it to end.

Which means this is a good book because for the passed 3 months or so I've been trying to get back on my habit of reading but have failed miserably. Currently I have 3 books unfinished and it sorta made me frustrated because I keep buying books that aren't so engaging. Sure, they have been on the top 10 of most-sold-books list or must -read-book list, but I just didn't seem to find the joy of reading them as I would other books.

It all started with that dance dance dance book by haruki murakami. The first book I have not finished and just tossed aside because it was too eccentric and at times boring to stomached. Give it a whirl and see what I mean. Although, hats off to Fara for finishing it. I felt a little guilty for not finishing it, but then I remembered this one article I've read and it was a review on a book about reading. Sort of a reader's right when it comes to reading. One of it is : "It is ok if you don't finish,it's your choice". So that kept me from prolonging my guilt and encouraged me to go on to other books.

Then...I found about Catch-22 and thought I should really read it since it is highly acclaimed by some literary board and Frankie magazine(my only fav magazine). One of the writer talked about books he has not finished and people was shocked that he haven't finished catch-22,saying it is a must read and shit. So, I got really intrigued..naturally. I saw it on the shelves of popular bookstore and bought it on impulse. A FEW PAGES at the book and i saw where the challenge lied...the language. English is not my first language so I find it rather difficult to read old english..maybe not refined or simplified english? You give it a crack and see if what I am saying makes sense.

After that, it was downhill from there. I can only stomach romance novel(both the really erotic type and pg-13 type)and I felt dirty mentally most of the time not because of the explicit content(I like that very much), but it felt like I was feeding junk food day in an out to my brain. I just stopped reading them and haven't picked up a book ever since. I've tried you know, to get back to what I love, which is adventure and magic intertwined together. Thought I would find it in Dianna Wyane Jones's the glass door, but it just didn't make me want to keep on turning the pages. I made it half way but didn't picked it back up ever since.

It is hard to read while classes is commencing because I have so many exam related stuff to read that reading a book for leisure seems to elude me. Le sigh...

Even during this 1 month of break I didn't come across anything interesting to read even though I've been meaning to read again since I have ample time to do so.

But, a few days ago I went to Mel's house and saw The Host by Stephanie Meyer. You heard me right, Stephanie Meyer. I have to say I have a pretty strong perception towards her earlier work (oh you know which one) and they aren't so positive. Best not go into that because I rather not soil this author's credibility with my words. Yes, I've read all her earlier work so I pretty much have a love hate relationship with her writing.

So, when I started reading The Host, I was a little cautious and reluctant to enjoy it. I just want to blast it with rants of why it sucks. But, the joke is on me, I did enjoyed it and loved that it is sci-fi and romance woven into one. You know how I love me some alien love and the end of the world related stuff.

Anyways, as Mel had put it: It is more matured. Yes it is. I wasn't annoyed by it one bit. I love a strong female character. And there wasn't any cheesiness or pent up sexual bits in it. The love story feels genuine and strong with out soaking it with sexual scenes like in Twilight. Seriously, Bella is just one sexually oppressed girl that wants to hump a vampire's brain out as soon as she can.

That aside, I think readers would appreciate The Host because it has the makings of a good book. Sure, it can't be compared to The End of Mr.Y(one of my fav), but its a good read regardless. In my opinion anyways, everyone have different taste. The science fiction junkies would probably look down on it but at the end of the day this is a story about love.

It says so in the beginning:
"To my mother, Candy, who taught me that love is the best part of any story"
And I agree.

I love reading,I love being completely immersed in its words and world. I wonder what I will stumble upon next..:)

1 comment:

eMMe said...

hah! never thought u'd go for stephanie meyer. hahaha. ahh i bet its lovely. her writing isnt bad its just that the plot for twilight sucks. btw, i miss ya. :)